In recent years, shea butter for hair care has become extremely popular. Plus, I’m sure you’ve noticed that today shea butter is being used in an increasing numbers of hair care products too. But what are the facts and how it works?
Below I am going to review with you all the benefits of this wonderful butter for natural hair, the impact of shea butter on hair and explain how to properly use it. Let’s get started.
Shea Butter For Hair, What Is It?
First of all, shea butter is extracted from the seeds of the fruit of Shea or Karite tree. Shea tree is native to West Africa and farmed mainly in several African countries, such as Sudan, Gambia and Burkina Faso. In order to produce the butter itself, the nuts from this tree are collected, cracked, grilled and pounded.
When the nuts have been pounded, they are boiled for a long time unless the light-colored fat (or shea butter) rises to the top. This top layer is collected, purified by melting it into butter oil, and then filtering it out and cooling.
So, the shea butter is ready!
The main components of shea butter are oleic acid, stearic acid, linoleic acid and so on. And, on top of that, it’s filled with a lot of vitamins, minerals and catechins.
According to Medicus Research, LLC Shea butter, which contains stearic acid, linoleic acid, and catechins (antioxidants), is processed from nut of the Vitellaria paradoxa tree. It is traditionally used as lotion for the skin and hair as it is considered an emollient and skin conditioning agent.
It has also been of importance in soothing arthritic pains, reducing swelling, treating skin problems, and as antiseptic for wounds. Shea butter is also found in topical formulations used for inflammatory dermatoses such as psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
Shea butter consists of triterpene cinnamates and acetates and these were found to have anti-inflammatory activity which can help in the reduction of edema associated with eczema. Human clinical studies have demonstrated shea butter as skin aging treatment which regenerates skin and gives smoother, clearer skin. Wrinkles from photoaging were also diminished.
More Clinical Trials
Another trial showed that shea butter has cicatrizing action in 70% of cases of hand dermatitis, sun burns and scars. A cream with shea butter was also demonstrated to promote good moisturization of the skin compared to placebo.
Shea butter has been used in Africa and other countries for years to improve hair (and not only hair as shea butter is known as a skin superfood). We are aware of using shea butter since the era of Cleopatra. Shea butter is really very beneficial for the hair as well as for skin. But let’s review in detail all the advantages of shea butter for natural hair.
Benefits Of Shea Butter For Hair
- Repair Damaged Hair: One of the main benefits of shea butter is its ability to restore hair moisture, protect it from harsh weather conditions and the harmful free radicals in the air and water. In addition, shea butter has a low SPF that is sufficient to protect the hair from ultraviolet radiation (or sun damage). Shea butter can protect hair from harsh weather, the sun, a heat tool or any other damaging material being passed along the hair. It also protects the hair against salt and chlorine when covered before swimming.
- Help Hair Growth: Researchers proved that shea butter helps hair grow faster due to its anti-inflammatory properties. By lowering inflammation, this great butter helps to rejuvenate hair follicles, providing the best conditions for healthy hair regrowth.
- Moisture Natural Hair: Shea butter is filled with vitamins A and E, therefore, shea butter is considered a perfect natural conditioner. This butter is extremely effective in locking in moisture, without leaving your hair greasy and heavy.
- Prevent Hair Loss: The fatty acids of shea butter exert many essential nutrients that improve and condition your hair as well as scalp. Thus, using shea butter regularly, curing hair loss naturally is easier, makes follicles stronger and reduces hair fall and hair loss. If you use shea butter, your hair will grow healthier and have a natural shine.
- Treat Split Ends: Shea butter provides moisture and generative effects on hair. It strengthens the hair strands and lowers breakage. Vitamins A and E contained in the butter soothe dry hair and split ends.
- Keep Rebel Curls In Place: Shea butter is a nice way to soften and revitalize your brittle hair. If you massage your hair with generous amounts of shea butter regularly, soon you’ll get soft and silky tresses. Thus, due to it emollient qualities, this butter is an excellent choice for natural hair treatment.
Shea Butter For Hair Uses
As you’ve already realized you can use shea butter on your hair, scalp or both to improve the health, length and appearance of the hair.
Check out the video below to see how to use shea butter for your hair properly.
Next, you’ll find two great recipes that are great hair growth remedies. The first is a basic hair care recipe and the second is for hair growth. Both will help you manage your natural hair and make it easier to style.
Shea Butter For Hair Care Recipe:
- Take 1 tablespoon of raw shea butter and melt it in a microwave for 1 minute.
- When the butter cools down slightly, add a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Take a small section of your hair and apply the butter to the scalp and entire hair length.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
Shea Butter For Hair Growth Recipe:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw shea butter with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 egg.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 6 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Mix thoroughly all the ingredients and apply it to the scalp and entire hair length.
- Leave this treatment on for about 25 to 30 minutes and wash your hair as usual.
If you’re looking for a great natural beauty product for your hair, shea butter for hair is one of the best choices you can make for yourself. What is really great is that no matter what hairstyle you prefer, from 90s hairstyles, african hair braiding to braided Mohawk styles, or a hair weave shea butter can help the style look beautiful.