Not knowing how to tame your frizzy hair can be extremely frustrating. Women that have this hair type sometimes simply give up. Like my daughter, they choose to wear it pulled back most of the time. However, it is nice to wear your hair down or straight for some events. Fortunately, with time and practice you can find ways that work for you. Yup, you can have smooth, controlled hair with just a few changes.
Whether you have curly, wavy or straight hair you can control your tightly curled frizzy hair. I promise you can get the healthy hair you have been dreaming about. Keep in mind, the method you use should depend on your end goal. For example, if you wish to maintain your hair’s curliness, you are going to want to use different products than you would if you want a completely sleek look. Simple enough, right?
Choosing the right products is essential when it comes to getting the results that you desire. The 12 tips below will help you get rid of frizzy hair for good!
How To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair
1.Wash your hair once a week. Unless you work a dirty job more than that is not necessary. When you shower be sure to wear a shower cap to prevent your hair from getting wet.
2. Unless your hair is extremely fine you will want to use a deep conditioner when you wash your hair. This step helps to lock in the moisture that your hair so desperately needs. Frizzy hair is the result of the hair shaft becoming dry. A good deep conditioner left on for at least five minutes before rinsing will go a long way towards keeping your hair moisturized.
3. A hot hair oil treatment is always a good idea at least once a week no matter your hair. It will moisturize your hair without leaving it weighed down like a hair mask can. Ideally you will want to use one that contains jojoba. Jojoba contains essential nutrients that keeps your hair looking healthy. Heat the oil and massage it on your scalp and hair for best results.
Curly Girls: Learn How To Control Frizzy Hair
4. If you have curly hair then you will want to start by using a shampoo and conditioning system that supports your curls. Almost every hair product line offers a system in this category. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get the best results. However, take some time to find the one that works best for you. Ask friends and family with a similar hair type for tips. This will reduce the amount of trial and error that you will go through.
5. After using a shampoo and conditioner for curly hair, towel dry your hair with a microfiber towel. While it can be tempting to use a blow dryer at this stage, in most cases this will only add more frizz. Allow time for your hair to dry naturally. It will give you the best results in the end.
6. While your hair is damp, use a curl defining gel. These come in a wide range of strengths. If you are looking to have soft, bouncy curls, go with a light hold. If you want your hair to stay in place all day, a strong hold gel is more appropriate.
Stop The Stiff, Untouchable Hair Routine!
7. Some people find that a strong hold leaves their hair feeling stiff and untouchable. Others find that a light hold doesn’t keep the frizz down through the day. So, it is a matter of personal preference.
It is also another area in which you will want to experiment to find what works best for you. After applying the gel and scrunching your curls from the bottom, you’ll want to enhance them. How?
Blow dry your hair with a diffuser on low if you are in a rush.
However, allowing it to air dry is the best approach.
8. If you are wondering how to tame frizzy hair whether it is wavy or straight, it is pretty much the same. Like curly hair you will want to stay away from heat as much as you can. To combat the effects of heat on your hair use a heat protectant. This can be applied when your hair is still damp, not wet.
Frizzy Hair Products Like The Ionic Blow Dryer
9. If you do choose to use a blow dryer the best option is one that is ionic. This concentrates the heat allowing the hair to dry more quickly without taking away all of its moisture. It’s not a miracle product – Ionic blow dryers also compress the cuticle and lock out some level of moisture. All-in-all though, an ionic blow dryer of high quality can be somewhat expensive, but they are well worth the investment.
How To Tame Frizzy Hair
10. After using a leave-in conditioner, protecting your hair with a hair serum and your hair is dried, you can use a straightener for the finishing touch. The best straighteners are ceramic and have high heat potential. Again, a high quality straightener can be somewhat pricey, but they work best to protect your hair and reduce frizz.
11. Before straightening, you should use a protectant to protect your hair and help to reduce the frizz. Like other products this will lock in the moisture and style. When straightening you should begin at the root and work your way down the hair shaft. Going too fast will lead to you having to do multiple strokes, drying out your hair and going too slow could result in permanent damage or even hair loss. If you are unsure about the right pace to use, find tutorials online.
Humid Outside? Try This!
12. If you find that you still battle with frizz, especially when it is humid outside, you may want to add a light hold hairspray as a finishing touch. Be sure to hold the nozzle at least six inches from your hair and gently sweep back and forth. You only want to lightly apply hairspray or else your hair will become stiff and look unnatural. Plus, it will be sticky on your fingers!!!
Wondering how to tame frizzy hair is really a quite common question. It is something that many of us fight with before finding what works best for us. This is one area that taking the time to experiment with products, brands and methods is necessary. Everyone has different hair types, so there is not one method that is going to work for everyone.
If after trying many times and not getting the results that you are looking for, you may want to seek the advice of a professional. Not only can they help you to pick the right products and show you the best techniques, but they may also be able to recommend a haircut that decreases the appearance of frizziness.
It can be tempting to give up on trying to tame your hair. Sadly many people do. However, as long as you are willing to put in the time and the effort to find what works for you, you will tame your frizzy hair.