True to its name, a clarifying shampoo gives your hair that natural clarifying spa treatment. It rids your hair from buildup brought about by gooey hair products and other problems. What do those other things include: hair spray, hard water mineral deposits and even chlorine, if you like to swim.
Some hesitate to use cheap drugstore shampoo. Cheap products can cause hair fall, hair breakage or dryness. So, what’s a girl to do if you don’t want to use regular shampoo? Take heart, as an alternative, you can use clarifying shampoo to take great care of your hair.
Please Note: clarifying shampoo is used to detox your hair without stripping it of all it’s moisture. It should not be used weekly. Use as necessary. For instance, you have product buildup. Use chelating shampoos if you live in hard water areas, a shampoo bar if you want an even more natural product, gluten free shampoo if you are allergic to gluten or a celiac sufferer, rosemary shampoo if you want plant based only or biotin shampoo if you prefer a product that has been researched for over 77 years.
Why Use Clarifying Shampoo For Natural Hair
Clarifying shampoo for our hair helps you to get rid of dry scalp, itchy, flaky, dandruff. Also, it removes excess oil from your scalp. Ever notice the stubborn residue of mousses, hair gel, edge control and other hair styling products? Well, it can be washed away when you use clarifying shampoo. After use, your hair will be fresh again.
You might think you don’t need a clarifying product. I get it you don’t want to buy anything else. However, if you color your hair, use hair masks or use any other type of hairstyling products and that includes dry shampoo then you need to get yourself a bottle of this shampoo.
By the way, clarifying shampoos also are known as purifying, detox and deep-cleansing. The bottom line they are designed to remove stubborn buildup from your hair.
How To Co-Wash And Clarifying Shampoo by
As advised by hair experts, clarifying shampoo for color treated hair must be used sparingly. It has a high concentration of surfactants compared to its water component. Another option is to use an amphoteric shampoo ~ think baby shampoo.
Baby shampoo contains milder amphoteric surfactants like:
- PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
This type of shampoo usually provides the least cleansing.
As a best practice, when using Pantene clarifying shampoo or Neutrogena clarifying shampoo, you want to rinse it out thoroughly. Use a hair conditioner right after applying it. It is formulated with a tiny amount of emollients. Make sure that you use a good moisturizing conditioner that has water, humectants and emollients. Every truly effective natural hair conditioning moisturizer has those elements.
Finally, after drying your hair, give yourself a four minute hair massage with Obsessed Hair Oil. It will provide more moisturizing benefits for a healthy scalp and hair.
Any shampoo with a heavier quantity of sulfates can be used in clarifying your hair. Just bear in mind that this substance can be detrimental to your hair when used excessively. Overuse of products with high amount of sulfates can remove your natural oil produced by your hair. For more information, check out the article on chemophobia.
Using it too much can be very drying and can lead to breakage. Again, when using clarifying shampoo, always rinse and deep condition your hair after shampooing. Shampoo is not bad, but it is best when it is used sparingly.
When To Use Clarifying Shampoo
One tell-tale sign that your hair needs rescue is when it loses its natural curly twirl. Perhaps it stops being bouncy, if it is supposed to. Some women only clarify when they notice their hair is starting to be lifeless. You can prevent this occurrence early on. Educate yourself on what you should be doing before problems occur.
The Science of Black Hair suggests that the use of clarifying shampoos is best done in the following cases:
- Is your hair dull due to constant use of styling gel, hair spritzers, hair conditioners? Have you over used finishing products such as hairsprays and moisturizers? If so, you have to keep in mind that these moisturizers are silicone-based and are not soluble in water. No wonder your hair feels gooey even after applying regular shampoo. It is, then, highly recommended to start detoxifying your hair with clarifying shampoos.
- If your hair starts feeling oily, rubbing the shampoo into your scalp will help keep it clean and fresh. If your hair tends to be extra dry, use of pre-poo or deep conditioner will temper the dryness.
- Swimming might be a great way to exercise. However, it can be havoc on your hair whether in the swimming pool or at the beach. The chlorine found in swimming pools and the salt water at the beach can leave your hair with a residue. What’s worse, is if the sun is out and scorching during your swimming sessions, it can really dry out your hair. The best remedy to this is to use a clarifying shampoo afterwards.
- What to do when your favorite hair products are no longer effective? Experts believe that repeated use of the same product can cause your hair to be immune overtime. The silicone cause build-up, preventing your hair from being smooth. Instead of ditching these products, stop using them regularly. Instead, use a clarifying shampoo from time to time.
- Is your hair easy to style and normally not dry? If so, then the use of a clarifying hair care product is recommended once a month (or longer) to give your mane a boost.
How to Use Clarifying Shampoo
Experts approve clarifying the hair when it is properly done. One way to do it is:
- Comb your hair in sections, once wet.
- Wash in the same direction, so that your hair doesn’t become tangled.
- Once it is covered with clarifying shampoo, leave it in for a few minutes and rinse.
And, finally, another clarifying shampoo you might like is Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo. It removes toxins, mineral and medicinal buildup with White Willow Bark and Sage. Also, the Pro-vitamin B5 and Biotin help to retain moisture and swell every strand of your hair.
Tips For Buying Clarifying Shampoo
The ingredients list is everything. It is the crucial element to determine whether you are going to achieve success. The ingredients are very important, but the quality of those ingredients is just as critical
By looking at the reviews, you will get a feel as to whether that product is suitable for you. As you filter through the different reviews, you’ll learn what is important to you. This will allow you to skip over the clarifying shampoos that you don’t like.
Being able to identify the poor products will help you save your money. Products that have a consistently negative review are their for a reason.
It is not that we are cheap, but price is factor. The best way to make a decision would be to compare the products I have shown you. That way, you’ll identify the product that provides you with the best price to value ratio.
Identify the right brand to invest in based on the company’s reputation. Some are more well known than others. If you are looking at drugstore brands, know the manufacturer. A lot of brands will private label from big manufacturers. So, you should be able to get drugstore equivalent products. This is a great way to really save money when shopping for clarifying shampoo.
There are a lot of things to think about when buying clarifying shampoos. By considering everything mentioned above, you’ll be able to choose the right shampoo for your hair type, budget and needs.